The importance of Farmer’s Markets is incredible.
You can locate the nearest Farmer’s Market to you anywhere in the US at http://www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets/. If there are none open near you today, consider going another day this week.
If none are near you, consider petitioning to start one in your town and in the meantime, most grocery stores offer a number of locally grown foods (Whole Foods does if you do not have others).
A few great reasons to shop at your Farmer’s Mkts…
- Local grown (freshly picked so it stays good longer)
- Saves energy in transportation
- Supports local farmers
- Many small farmers use little or no pesticides
- Food requires little or no packaging (esp if you take your own bags) – less plastic!
- Stimulates the local economy
- Usually fun for the kids! (food, music, crafts, entertainment)
My new favorite Farmer’s Market is the Torrance, CA Saturday market, though I still love Mar Vista in West LA, GREAT selection of produce, quite reasonable, and I can buy my eggs, cheese, bread, snacks and meat there… and there is always something for the kids.